Monday 2 April 2018

April Quilt A Long - Farmhouse String Quilt


Hi there everyone....

It's already April and (rubbing hands together) its the start of the
  Farmhouse String Quilt QAL....

I've been really excited to get this one started...



This is the 40" (102cm) Farmhouse String Quilt.
Its on the easy level and could even be used by beginners who have an idea of what paper piecing is all about.

With this String Quilt, you can use up scraps of fabric you have that are too small for something but don't really want to just throw it out. 
Each of the blocks that make up a row are 5" (12,7cm), so your strips and scraps only need to be around that size in length. 






This is the Farmhouse without all colour scraps. It has been divided into blues, light greens, dark greens, yellow greens, browns, and red.

This works for all the colours but say - For the blues - there will only be one number for blue but you can use any colour blue fabric you choose. You can be totally random or you can even stick to your own plan.










Here's a layout plan (shows a front view of the quilt), you will see that I divided it up into rows.
Each row has 8 blocks.

You can join your rows from the start or you can wait until you have a few rows made before joining.


The first two rows are very straight forward as well as the rows 5 - 8.

The rows 3 and 4 are the only two where there are small pieces around the house and barn but nothing extreme. You can even wait until last to tackle that portion.

When joining your blocks - be careful to have the paper side facing you when following the instructions.




I've decided to make all the rows first before I join them, so I'm working through each block and looking at the section colour box and if it says blue, I grab a piece of blue, if it says white, then that's the direction I go.

When I lay out the rows, this is what I'm looking at....
For the blues I decided they all had to fall into the lighter blue colour group, but other than that I'm having loads of fun and it's going pretty quickly.









Here's one on a more advanced stage. It belongs to Jan from Sew Surprising...

Already looking amazing!!!

You can use up any colour scrap you have. Mix up the solids and the patterns and you're going to be surprised with the really cool quilt you've made.










Anyone can join the QAL..... I get asked this question so many times.....all you need to do is go and buy your pattern and start. No sign up, no sign up fee (unless you really want to....lol...)

With start - I mean cutting out all the pieces, then putting them in piles of alphabetical numbering. As I'm cutting I already make those piles. A - Z, AA - AZ, BA - BZ etc... then each of those piles of papers gets sorted into alphabetical order. Believe me, this does help in the long run.
Next is to get your fabric scraps and sort them into blues, greens etc.
Then grab the A block and get going...

You can find the pattern in my Craftsy shop right HERE....<<<<<


I've started a QuiltArt Designs Group  on Facebook where you are welcome to join and add any of your finished blocks made with the QADesigns patterns. Please show us what you've made, I really love to see them all.



*********************************
                                        
 Quick link to my full Craftsy Shop <<<<<


(when you open the shop.... click on the right side 'sort by tab' and press NEWEST.... then everything will show up)





My Paypal Acc:  PayPal.Me/QuiltArtDesigns


3 comments:

Ronelle said...

Janeen, Your Farmhouse String Quilt is absolutely stunning!
Kind regards, Ronelle

LJ said...

I regularly follow your blog and love all your paper-piecing. Just wanted to say that this paper-pieced quilt is one that I love. I have so many projects in the works that I can't/won't begin a new one but did want to tell you how neat this is. I 'Favorited' your pattern on Craftsy, pinned the image to Pinterest, and will be following the QAL on your blog. Thanks for all the fun.

Joan said...

love this and it looks like such a scrap buster!